Are you looking to surprise your family with a Persian dish? Well, you will be pleased to know that it is possible to try Persian dishes in the comfort of your home. Begin with this easy-to-make Pomegranate Stew with Chicken or KohreshFesenjan. This Persian chicken stew uses chicken breasts or thighs.
The secret to its thick, creamy, and flavorful sauce is to cook it slowly for long hours. The ground toasted walnuts and pomegranate juice will release their combined flavor into the chicken meat as if marinated. The only downside of this dish is that it takes a while. Therefore, make sure that you are not in hurry to eat because it takes less than two hours of cooking and preparation time.
- 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs or breasts
- ½ pounds finely toasted walnuts
- 4 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Saute’ chicken and onion in a skillet and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the ground walnuts, pomegranate juice, cardamom, and salt and bring to boil.
- When boiling reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 1 ½ hour, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in sugar and seasoning according to your desired taste and simmer for 30 minutes more.
Some modified the recipe a bit by adding chicken broth; instead of 4 cups pomegranate, they add 2 cups and 2 cups of chicken broth. You can serve it with white rice with a pickled side dish.