This one is a classic Persian recipe of mixed rice dish, ground meat, and green bean. For those who opt for healthier options and low-calorie dishes, the alternative is spice green beans in tomato rice. Some Iranians call this their comfort food because it is easy to prepare but it captures the perfect Persian taste of tahdig.
- 350g Basmati rice or long grained rice
- 400g fine green bean cut into four equal pieces
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 4-5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 thinly sliced large cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 75g cubed butter
- A pinch of saffron (mixed in 2-3 tbsp boiling water)
- 1 tbspgreek yogurt
Step 1: Prepare the Rice
Parboil the rice for several minutes. Then drain and rinse thoroughly in cold running water to wash off the starch. Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Prepare the Mixture
- Saute’ the onion for 6-8 minutes, then add the beans and cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally until the beans are completely soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Mix the turmeric, cinnamon, and tomato puree and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Next put the butter and stir.
- Lastly pour over the rice and mix thoroughly.
Step 3: Making the Tahdig
- Heat the vegetable oil over low heat
- Mix the saffron water into the yogurt then add it to the heated vegetable oil.
- Gently stir.
- Pour the rice mixture into the pan.
- Press it to the base and smoothen the surface with a wooden ladle.
- Wrap the pan lid with a towel and cover the pan.
- Cook over low heat for 45 minutes
- When cooked flip the pan into the platter revealing the crunchy tahdig base.
- Garnish with herbs of your choice and serve hot.