Persian recipes are known around the world not only because of its unique taste but because it is simply delicious. The combination of their rare ingredients makes their dishes more enticing. In this article, we will look at some of the best Persian recipes to try.
One of Iran’s trademark dishes is called Tahdig, pronounce as /tah-deeg/. It is the crispy crust rice at the bottom of the pot which comes in different unique flavors.
How to Make TahdG:
- Wash the basmati rice thoroughly under cold running water until it becomes clear. Some soaked it overnight for a fluffier result.
- Par-boil the rice with plenty of water and cook to aldante for 5 minutes.
- For this recipe, we need whole milk yogurt and saffron.
- Soak the saffron in warm water and leave for 10 minutes. Do not throw away the saffron water because it will be used when you cook the crust.
- Mix the pre-boiled rice, yogurt, and saffron, add the desired amount of oil and saffron water.
- Spread the mixture in the bottom of the non-stick pot then add your preferred flavoring: herbs or dried fruits such as cherries, orange zest, and a pinch of cinnamon. Layer them accordingly.
- Spread butter on the top layer of rice or just dot butter cubes on top.
- Then pour the remaining saffron water on top.
- Cook the thadig over low to medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until the rice around the edges is gold and crusty.
- Serve the cooked tahdig upside down.
Other great Persian recipes include:
- Herbed Rice with Fish Tahdig
- Iranian Noodle Soup
- Persian Tamarind-Staffed Fish
- Steamed Saffron Rice with Tahdig
- Yogurt Cucumber Sauce with Rose Petals
- Kidney Bean Stew and Veal