When you think of Persian food, Kebab is always on top of the list. Although the origin of Kebab is not very clear, one thing is for sure this popular dish comes from Middle Eastern cuisine. Kebab is a meatball grilled on a skewer. However, unlike an ordinary meatball, kebab oozes with an amazing unique flavor because of the different blends of herbs.
Traditionally Kofta Kebab was made with ground lamb. Today, there are other alternatives such as beef, chicken, turkey, or even pork. A combination of pork and beef also works well. Similar to shawarma, kebab can also be eaten in a food wrap called pita.
How to Make Kofta Kebaba
- 1 pound ground lamb
- Half an inch peeled garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh mint
- 2 tsp coriander
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 peeled shallots
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley
- Mix all the ingredients together except the ground lamb and finely grind in a food processor.
- Mix the mixture into the ground and knead until well combined.
- Take a handful of the mixture and form it into a meatball then onto the skewer.
- Roll the meatball until elongated.
- Grill in high heat for about 6 minutes and turn and cook for another 6 minutes.
- Serve with a choice of pita, tzatziki, or rice.
Kebab is a good treat, especially during kid’s parties. For safety purposes for children, you can take out the skewer and put it instead in the pita wrap.